- Find your passion, proficiency and how you can make a profit. Start with your why then find your vehicle to make an impact with that but one in which you can make a profit to run it as a social enterprise rather than a passion project.
- Call yourself a profit-for-good i.e. don’t be scared to earn money because you are a business but it just means you can make a bigger impact.
- Utilise the power of video to connect with your audience and funders.
- Collaborate, get support and fill in your gaps with staff/freelancers or other social enterprises.
- Dream big. Don’t be afraid to have a big audacious goal but then work back into small steps because it can feel overwhelming.
- Promote yourself in the media and online, your passion will shine through. It might feel cringeworthy but it’s important to show your work albeit perfectly imperfect.
- Raw, real and relatable content works as it’s authentic so don’t get stuck on perfectionism.
I’m a huge believer in getting support and have recently been part of an awesome School for Social Entrepreneurs (SSE) programme,
SSE has taught me:
- Connect with others and share skills.
- Don’t compare yourself we’re all on our own journey.
- Take time out to develop yourself to thrive.
- There’s plenty of time to do everything just take it step by step.
- Reach out for support and take time for self-care.
- Keep reminding yourself of your why. The pain that inspired your purpose.
Read more: SophieMeiLan.co.uk